Check our blog for the latest tips and advice on everything from signs of potential mold to the best ways to clean your home if you have pets. We'll cover a wide range of topics so be sure to check here regularly.
- Keep a flashlight easily accessible in every bedroom, the kitchen, and in all other common areas of your home
- Always stock extra batteries!
- Store candles and matches in a high and dry location that can be easily found in the dark
- Invest in a generator for long-term outages
- Always have a fire extinguisher easily accessible and be sure you and each one of your family members know exactly where it is and how to operate it. We suggest placing it in the kitchen in case of a stove, oven, or other appliance fire.
- Avoid smoking inside the house, and never smoke in bed.
- If O2 is being used by a family member, prohibit smoking or an open flame in the house.
- Keep candles away from upholstery and curtains.
- Make sure all electrical outlets are appropriated plated and that all wiring is intact and in proper working condition.
- Emergency Preparedness Tips from the Experts
Emergency Preparedness Tips from the Experts
Aug 22, 2017
ServiceMaster of Spartanburg
Disaster can strike anywhere, anytime. Don’t be caught off guard. Follow these tips from the experts to make sure that you’re as prepared as possible when disasters do strike.
In Case of Fire
Fires can start for a number of reasons and can happen pretty much anywhere: in the kitchen, at electrical sources, or when using open flames from candles and matches. Make sure you’re prepared if a fire does start in your home.
Flooding can be caused by malfunctioning plumbing inside the house, or by rising water outside, but no matter where the water is coming from, flood waters can cause potentially irreparable damage. Here are a few ways you can prepare for a potential flood, or respond if you’re in a flood situation.
If the water level is only a few inches, lift furniture legs and place them on something sturdy to keep them dry. Store non-perishable foods upstairs in case of high water flooding. Make sure to contact a professional water cleanup company as quickly as possible. Water damage can be very dangerous, and flood water containing dirt and debris can turn into black water in a matter of hours.
Winter, wind, and hail storms can all cause damage and inconvenience. Keep branches trimmed back from the house to avoid roof damage. Maintain weather-stripping and double-paned windows to keep moisture and cold air out.
No matter what the disaster, the experts at ServiceMaster Spartanburg can help. For more information about ServiceMaster of Spartanburg or to schedule services, contact us today.