Four Things Every Homeowner Should Know About Mold
Jan 26, 2018
Mold contributes to or exacerbates a number of health conditions. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), these include allergic reactions, asthma and other respiratory complaints, as well as irritation to the eyes, skin, nose, throat and lungs. However, mold isn’t something most homeowners think a lot about.
What every homeowner should know about mold
1. Mold grows very quickly. Mold can start forming as quickly as 48 hours after exposure to moisture.
2. Mold isn’t always visible. Mold can form anywhere moisture is present. That can be behind walls, under cabinets and in your attic insulation. In addition, not all mold is visible to the naked eye. Some forms of mold can only be detected with a special lighting device.
3. Household bleach isn’t reliable to kill mold.It’s a common myth that bleach is an effective cleansing agent against mold. While this can be true on some surfaces, it’s not designed to soak into porous surfaces, such as wood, some forms of countertops, concrete block and dry wall. The EPA recommends that consumer-grade chlorine bleach not be used to get rid of mold.
4. You don’t need to experience a flood or burst pipe to have mold form in your home. Mold can grow from any number of small sources of moisture. You don’t need to have a major event for mold to form. Sources can include condensation in poorly-ventilated bathrooms, attics and even terrariums and fish aquariums.
To learn more about detecting mold in your home or getting your Spartanburg area home back to normal after severe water damage, contact ServiceMaster of Spartanburg today.